Vietnamese cuisine inspired this slightly spicy gluten-free dish, which is fragrant with lemongrass and fresh cilantro. (If you don’t eat gluten, double check that your tamari is gluten-free, since some are made with wheat.) To mince lemongrass, pull off the outer layers to reveal the tender white inner core. Using a heavy knife (lemongrass is very fibrous), slice the stalk thinly crosswise, and then finely chop.
Grilled Lemongrass Chicken with Ginger Rice
For the lemongrass chicken:2 Tbs. minced shallot 2 Tbs. gluten-free tamari 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar 1 1/2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce 1 fat or 2 thin Lemongrass stalks, peeled and minced, or 2 tsp. grated lemon zest 1 Tbs. vegetable oil 1/2 tsp. Asian chile sauce, such as sambal oelek or sriracha 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For the ginger rice:1 1/2 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger 1/8 tsp. kosher salt 1 cup (7 oz./220 g) uncooked brown basmati or jasmine rice 2 tsp. gluten-free tamari Chopped green onions, white and light green portions, for garnish
1. To make the lemongrass chicken, in a bowl, mix the shallot, the 2 Tbs. tamari, sugar, fish sauce, lemongrass, oil, chile sauce and salt. Cut any excess fat from the chicken. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat. Let the chicken marinate while preparing the rice.
2. To make the ginger rice, in a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) water, the ginger and salt to a boil. Add the rice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand at least 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, then mix in the tamari.
3. Meanwhile, prepare a hot fire in a grill.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade, place on the grill rack, cover and cook until springy to the touch and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
5. Divide the rice among 4 warmed plates. Top with the chicken, sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.
The post Grilled Lemongrass Chicken with Ginger Rice appeared first on Williams-Sonoma Taste.